GLENLEA MENNONITE CHURCH
March 24, 2013, Lent Six Palm Sunday
Focus Statement: “So they took branches of palm trees and went out to meet him, shouting, “Hosanna! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord – the King of Israel!” John 12:13
GATHERING IN GOD’S PRESENCE
Procession: Jesus is Coming
Choral Invocation: Amazing Grace – M. Hanawalt
Jami Reimer, soprano
Welcome and Announcements
Greetings from CMU
Call to Worship and Prayer
Leader: Lord, we worship you because you are good!
People: You teach us to sustain the weary with a word.
Leader: The stone that the builders rejected has become
the chief cornerstone.
People: This is the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our
Leader: Lord, we give you thanks, for your love is never
People: Blessed is the one who comes in the name of
PRAISE AND CONFESSION
Hymn of Praise: HWB 77 – Joyful, joyful we adore thee
Scripture Reading: Psalm 118: 1-9; 22-29
Choir: I Cannot Dance – S. Paulus
Rebecca Klassen – Wiebe, piano
Awesome God, we take pride in our accomplishments,
thinking we have achieved them by our own authority
Teach us to know the source of true authority,
what obedience looks like, and why it is worth its cost.
As people who falter, we wait blindly, impatiently,
for signs of your activity, wondering if you act or care;
Because of my great love for you
I took on your shame through Jesus,
I took on the form of a slave,
was obedient to the point of death
and am now exalted,
all because of love – for you.
Choir: Da Pacem – J. Enns (Give peace to us, O Lord, in these
PROCLAIMING AND RESPONDING TO GOD’S WORD
CMU Student Sharing – Jami Reimer
Scripture Reading: Luke 15: 1-3; 11-32
Sermon: Gerald Ens
Offering: Hosanna – D. Conte
Hymn: HWB 238 – Hosanna, loud hosanna
Time of Sharing
Choir: Music Down in My Soul – M. Hogan
What’s Up in Glenlea?
– March 24th – Following today’s church service, you are invited to join us for lunch for chili and buns, veggies and dessert. We look forward to having you join us.
– March 28th – Maundy Thursday evening service at 7:30 PM.
– March 29th – Good Friday service AT 11:00 AM with a church choir.
– March 31st – Sunday, March 31 (Easter Sunday) you are invited to join us for Easter Brunch at 10:00 am. We will be serving paska, cinnamon buns, fruit and more. We are looking for people to bring cinnamon buns, paska and fruit for this morning. There is a sign up sheet in the foyer or contact Jenn Wiens if you are able to bring something for this morning. Next Sunday morning during the worship Hour: A DRAMA, “Can We Believe” featuring Terry Neufeld, Eric Unger, Hayley Wiens, and Matt Van Otterloo.
– Young adults are invited out for lunch on April 21st and May 5th. Have you signed up?
What’s Up at MCI?
– Mennonite Collegiate Institute, in partnership with Eden Health Care Services, invites you to our fundraising event on Saturday, April 27, 2013. Supper is at 5:30pm with the show,Laughter is Sacred Space, to follow at 7:00pm in Buhler Hall, Gretna. Ted Swartz reveals his unique journey under the shadow of a mental illness and offers hope and humour. Donations accepted for dinner and show; rush seating. Please call 204.327.5891 for more information..
– MCI will feature the Chamber Choir in a Fundraising Concert on Friday, May 3, 2013. The concert will take place at the Manitou Opera House in Manitou, MB at 7:00pm. .
What’s Up with Camp?
– Staff & Volunteer Applications Now Available! We would love for you to be a part of Summer 2013! Camp is a place where a temporary community is formed, where faith is fostered, and where people of all ages experience God in new ways. We invite you to come for a week (or more!) to see what it’s all about. Please see our website for job descriptions and application forms http://campswithmeaning.org/summer/staff/staff.php! – ARE YOU IN?? On April 26 – 27, 2013, Hope Centre Ministries is hosting its first multi-denominational conference, “In2013” at McIvor MB Church in Winnipeg. Key note speakers are Brian Doerksen, singer songwriter and Barbara Newman, author and consultant in education and support for inclusive communities. This great opportunity for professional development for pastors and leaders. It also provides learning opportunity for volunteers, Sunday School teachers, group leaders and family members, who are interested in supporting meaningful inclusion for people with disabilities in a church setting.
What’s Up wirh CMU?
– 2013 CMU Essay contest for Manitoba High School Students interested in the Humanities is accepting submissions. The contest invites students to engage with important questions about good and evil, language, and funding for faith based initiatives. Prize money will be awarded. Essays are due March 31.See CMU poster for essay questions and details.
– CMU President Cheryl Pauls invites you to attend the Spring Celebration Banquet and hear Canadian Mennonite University: Engage The Story, Share the Vision April 4, 6:00 PM. Victoria Inn (1808 Wellington Ave, Winnipeg). Admission is complimentary, RSVP required. 204.487.3300, firstname.lastname@example.org
– April 8, Jazz@CMU, Enjoy an evening of Jazz featuring Jazz Band and Vocal Jazz, 7:30 PM, CMU, Great Hall ($5), 500 Shaftesbury Blvd.
– CMU Professor Emeritus of Music Irmgard Baerg launches her new piano CD ...a classic affair, April 9. The CD features the works of Robert Schumann, Sonia Eckhardt Gramatte, Mozart and Chopin. Come enjoy the story behind…a classic affair. Reception to follow. 7:30 PM, Laudamus Auditorium, 500 Shaftesbury Blvd. Free, all are welcome.
And what else?
– The Selkirk Ave. MCC Furniture & Thrift Store is seeking a university or college student for summer employment as Assistant to the Manager from May to August, 2013. Applicants should have good management and administrative skills, be fluent in English and work well with volunteers and the public. Knowledge of the local community and experience in retail sales are an asset. The successful applicant will be expected to have a commitment to the mission of Mennonite Central Committee (MCC). This is a salaried term position. Funding for this position is subject to approval by the Government of Canada. Please contact Henry Fast, email@example.com or (204) 261-7768 by April 20/13.
– Greetings from C.S.S.M. Ministries Manitoba! We are so pleased to announce that our 2013 Support Raising Concert in the Rosenort area is just around the corner! This year, we are thrilled to have the Browns returning as musical guests. We are grateful that Rosenort EMC Church will be hosting the concert. Plan now to attend – it’s scheduled for Thursday, April 4, 2013, at 7:00 p.m.
– MDS Fundraising Banquet. We invite you to the annual MDS banquet to be held on Saturday, April 6 at 5:30 pm at Prairie Rose EM Church in Landmark MB (located ½ mile west of junction 210 & 206). Come visit with friends and hear what MDS is doing. Tickets are complimentary but please reserve by calling the MDS office at 1-866-261-1274 or 204-261-1274. Tickets are also available from MDS Manitoba board members.
Grandparents & Grandchildren Day (March 27, 2013):
Come out to Camp Assiniboia to spend a day with your grandchildren (in Grades 1-6)! Sessions will be focused on “Passing the Faith” and how you, as grandparents, can be a part of your grandchildren’s faith development. Some activities and a time of worship will be shared together and there will also be a time of learning for grandparents and grandchildren separately. For information on how to register, please see our website at http://campswithmeaning.org/retreats/ or call the office(204-895-2267). Join us in making some great memories!